If you’ve never eaten farro, try it. It’s a natural grain typically used in Mediterranean cooking, and it’s great for soups, salad and more! Here I paired it with some organic veggies and chicken sausage to keep it healthy.
- 1 pound organic Basil Chicken sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces baby spinach, leaves whole
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 mushrooms, diced
- 2 Meyer lemons, squeezed
- 1 cup Emmer Farro
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the farro. Add it to a pot over high heat. Add the water and boil on high for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover, and simmer on medium heat for about another 50 minutes or until the grains are plump. Drain the excess water.
- When the farro has about ten minutes left to cook, add the extra virgin olive oil to a large sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic, stirring occationally.
- When the onion is translucent, add the sausage. Stir occasionally, breaking up the sausage with the side of the spoon as you go. Add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- When the sausage is cooked, add the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. Stir for about an additional two minutes, then add the spinach.
- When the farro is done cooking, add it to the pan with the sausage and vegetables. Add the lemon juice, and stir.
Serve and enjoy!