I love these meatballs! They make a great hors d’oeuvre, or entrée. Serve them with steamed white rice for a heartier meal, or stick with the lettuce cups for a low-carb dish.
- 1.5 pounds organic ground pork
- 1 bunch green onions, diced (reserve some for garnish)
- 7 Crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, plus more lime wedges for serving
- 1 head live lettuce
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Wash the leaves of the live lettuce and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, green onions, carrot, mushrooms, garlic, egg and spices. Add in one tablespoon of the chili garlic sauce and make sure all of the ingredients are blended.
- Create the meatballs, each about 2.5 inches in diameter.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Sear the meatballs for about one minute on each side.
- Transfer them to a greased baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Heat a saucepan on the stovetop. Add the hoisin sauce and chili garlic sauce. Squeeze the lime juice into the sauce. Turn the heat to low to keep warm, and stir.
- When the meatballs are done cooking, let them cool for about 3-5 minutes.
- Using tongs, add the meatballs to the sauce, turning them occasionally so they’re fully covered.
- Place a meatball on each bib of lettuce, garnish with green onion and a lime wedge, and serve.