This dish is perfect for a night when you need a break from the always-tempting carbohydrates. The spaghetti squash is equally satisfying, and pairs well with these rich vegetables and hearty sausage.
- 1 pound organic basil chicken sausage
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of asparagus, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Stab the spaghetti squash with a fork several times, and place on a baking sheet. bake for 75 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- When the spaghetti squash has about fifteen minutes left to cook, heat 2 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic, and stir occasionally for about five minutes. Add the asparagus, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining extra virgin olive oil. Add the basil chicken sausage, separating it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When it is fully cooked, add it to the pan with the vegetables and stir.
- In a small pot, heat the heavy cream and butter. Whisk rapidly. Add the parmesan cheese, and whisk until it is melted.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the vegetables and sausage and stir.
- When you remove the spaghetti squash from the oven, cut it in half, and let it cool for about five minutes. Do your best to remove the seeds. Scoop out the remaining squash, and stir it into the pan of vegetables, sausage and sauce.
- Garnish with parmesan, and serve immediately.